Saturday, October 5, 2013

Renovation

Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will like a wise man who built his house on rock.  The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house.  But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock.  And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand.  The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house.  And it collapsed and was completely ruined.
Jesus Christ, Matthew 7:24-27

 


Two of my brothers-in-law have been at our house this week completely replacing our central heating system - furnace, pipes and radiators.  My wife and I have been helping them a little, trying to keep the house reasonably clean, getting our two kids ready for school in the mornings and feeding and entertaining them, and preparing lessons for our teaching jobs.  It's been dusty and noisy and a little bit stressful.  OK, a lot stressful.

By the time this post goes live Friday night, all should be finished save for some repainting where they had to knock out some wall for the new pipes. 

Renovation can be painful (emotionally AND physically - those furnaces are heavy!) but the final result is worth it.

Confession of our sins can be likened to a renovation of our souls.  I've also heard it described as like a house cleaning for the soul.  It can be uncomfortable, even painful, but the sweet relief afterwards is beyond words.  Our sins are forgiven and our right relationship with God is renewed.

Catholics and Orthodox go to a priest for confession.  We believe that after we make a full confession of our grievous sins to a priest, Jesus grants us absolution through that priest.  The priest is a vessel for God's graces.  Even if he's a terrible scoundrel, as an ordained priest he is a channel for Jesus' absolution.

Another good thing about auricular confession to a priest is just that - it's auricular.  We have to physically speak our sins to another person.  That can be really uncomfortable, believe me.  But speaking our sins aloud can bring home to us just how ugly our sins are.  Also, a good priest can counsel us to help us deal with our weaknesses that lead us to sin.



Catholics are encouraged to examine their consciences before confession.  One effective way to do this is to reflect on the Ten Commandments and ask ourselves how we have sinned against God and our fellow man by breaking any of these commandments.  I think Protestant Christians will find this useful too when examining their consciences before Christ. 

It's been a long while since I've been to confession and I really need to go.  It's difficult for me to confess in Polish, which is the reason it's been so long.  However, I recently learned through one of my students that there's a priest in Jędrzejów who speaks English.  I dropped by that church the other day and discovered that he hears confessions on Saturday evenings.  I intend to go to him soon.  My soul needs some serious renovation.



A useful guide to examination of conscience

I am the Lord your God.  You shall not have strange gods before me.  Did I willfully or seriously doubt my faith?  Did I worship idols in my life by putting false gods over my duties to God and other people - idols such as my own free time, money, sports, music, etc.?

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.  Did I curse using our Lord's name?

Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.  Did I miss church on any Sunday?  Did I keep the Lord in mind on Sundays?  Did I keep that day in His honor? 

Honor your father and your mother.  Did I disobey my parents or lawful superiors in important matters?  Did I respect and honor my parents as I ought to?

You shall not kill.  Did I hatefully quarrel with anybody, or desire revenge?  Did I consent to, advise, encourage, or actively take part in an abortion?

You shall not commit adultery.  Did I willfully look at indecent pictures or watch immoral movies?  Did I engage in impure jokes or conversations?  Did I commit impure acts? 

You shall not steal.  Did I steal or damage another person's property?  Have I been honest at work or in my business relations?

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.  Did I tell lies.  Did I slander anyone?  Did I judge others rashly in serious matters?

You shall not covet your neighbor's wife (or husband).  Did I lust after another's wife or husband.  Did I dishonor my wife or husband by comparing them negatively with another's wife or husband?

You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.  Was I envious of other people's possessions?  Was I dissatisfied with the things that God has blessed me with?

No comments:

Post a Comment